Monday, October 27, 2014

Sometimes you can't fix things yourself

Hey guys! I hope you all had a great weekend!!

Mine was a little tough. I've been off the map for a bit because I have been struggling with some health issues for the past few weeks. My sudden curiosity in the Raw Food Diet was really me trying to self diagnose and treat myself. I was reluctant to get medical attention and thought I could fix it on my own, but things got unmanageable and I wound up here.


After some blood results, my doc told me to go to the ER where a CT Scan showed I have Colitis. Why am I telling you this? Because I thought I could self-treat this condition with a specific diet plan, but was proven wrong. If I am going to share with you my nutrition triumphs, I think it is only fair I share with you what didn't work too. I am such a strong believer in the power of nutrition, but this was a wake up call that some things won't get better on their own, even with the healthiest diet plan you could imagine. While I am a huge advocate for nutrition, it is a recipe for long term health and sometimes, in the short run, antibiotics are the only thing that will help kill internal infections. 

I've kept this on the DL from most people as it's not a pleasant topic and I wasn't sure yet what was going on, but those who did know (sorry I dragged you into it ;) have been amazing. I also had this lady by my side who made me laugh even while I was laying on the bed in the ER. 



Happier, less painful times ahead, I am so hopeful! Keep yourself healthy, and while nutrition is an amazing thing, sometimes we have to seek medical help for those nasty infections we can't heal on our own!!

PS. You can expect a post in the near future on 'easy to digest' foods ;).


Anyone else have a medical issue they tried to fix on their own?

Best foods for when you are sick?

10 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad you figured out what's wrong! I hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Ashley @ Kickashmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling much better already!!! I believe in using nutrition and exercise to fix most things too (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.). I wish more people felt that way! My whole life I had borderline high blood pressure until I started running! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Fitness and nutrition are a powerful combo.

      Delete
  3. Oh no Amanda! I'm so sorry to hear that, hope you start to feel better soon! I'm someone who almost never gets help when ill or injured and whilst I do sometimes manage to make it better, it's just quicker and easier to go see someone about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a quick road to recovery. I often try and self diagnose things too. I am glad you have this figured out. The important thing is that you are willing to make the changes to be healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that happened to you! I am always reluctant to go to the doctor as well, but sometimes we just have to bit the bullet and be thankful we have access to modern medicine no matter how much we don't want to use it. :/ I will definitley be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, thank you Lauren!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...