Thursday, October 23, 2014

Nutrition Thursday: Eating too Much Protein

Hi guys, how's it going?!?

I spend a lot of time reading nutrition related articles and blogs and decided to share some of the nutrition love and info with you guys! On Thursdays I'll give y'all a recap of some topics I think are pretty interesting and sometimes misunderstood. It'll be short and sweet, I promise =).

Too much protein. It exists and I feel like some people underestimate the amount of protein they get each day!

I work at a Culinary School and part of my job is to review the Chef's menus and ensure they are not exceeding the protein limit, which is 4.0 - 4.5 ounces of protein / person.


This is the Recommended Daily Intake, as published by Choose My Plate (<-- an awesome website, check it out if you have time!). I need 46 grams of protein a day! Of course, this varies based on weight and physical activity.



Sneaky protein, is in so many foods. Just because you don't eat meat, doesn't mean you aren't eating protein. High protein foods:
  • Half chicken breast - 92g
  • 3 oz fish filet - 22g
  • Beans (1 cup) - 29g
  • Egg (1 egg) - 6 g
  • Yogurt (1 cup) - 14 g
  • Nuts (1 ounce) - 9g
Too much protein, what happens?

I took an introductory nutrition class recently and learned that if you consume more protein than your body needs, you may actually start to gain weight. This is because your body starts to store the excess protein as fat. While it is good to make sure we are getting enough protein, also make sure you aren't getting TOO much.

And of course a little bit of randomness because this wouldn't be my blog with out.

I almost drove off the road when I came home and saw this cat in our front yard. And what is wrong with it's neck??


Haley and I fixed it later =).


My first FIX! I am excited to see what they picked out for me! I'll do a full review on it soon.


I hope today is a good one! See you all tomorrow!

Q: Have you ever done Stitch Fix? Did you keep anything?

Q: Where do you get most your protein from?
-- greek yogurt






8 comments:

  1. That's seriously my dream job you have. How fun. I get most of my protein probably from chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool job and what a cool Halloween inflatable! That cat face is actually kind of terrifying! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting job :)
    I get most of my protein from eggs, nuts, and meat. I eat nuts and meat almost daily, and I have eggs about every other day. I end up getting a lot of protein, but I've found that when I eat fattier sources of protein (nuts and eggs, or chicken thighs as opposed breast meat) then I get fuller much faster and end up eating less overall! After reading your post, I'm wondering if I should track my overall protein intake to make sure I'm not overdoing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome you're so aware of what works for you! If you're really active, more protein than the recommended level may be okay, it definitely varies from person to person =).

      Delete
  4. This was a really interesting post Amanda! I always thought too much protein couldn't possibly be a bad thing! And looking at that list of high protein foods was pretty eye opening because they're p much all in my everyday diet.
    www.nessruns.com

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...