Monday, October 20, 2014

Let's Talk "Raw" and Raw Vegetable Sushi Rolls (Vegan)

Hey guys! How was the weekend?!

There was a lot of cooking and hanging with good friends going on in my world this weekend. Still no running, but I think the end of the over-use injury is near (insert angles singing hallelujah here).

Let's talk "raw" today about what a Raw Food Diet is. I do not practice a Raw Food Diet but did decide to experiment with raw food recipes this weekend. Sometimes when I find I lose my food mojo I like to hit the reset button by getting back to the raw foods that I love, that I know will satiate me, and allow me to better listen to my hunger cues.

My favorite thing from this weekend were these Raw Vegetable Sushi Rolls I had a lot of fun making! 



How I reset my food mojo:

1. Go to the Farmer's Market and buy all of nature's candy (aka fruit) and as many other groceries for the week as I can because supporting the local farmers is sort of awesome.


2. Re-fall in love with my favorite fruit in the whole world and decide which apple wins the taste off. This week's winner: Honeycrisp. 


2.5. And you thought I was kidding that these are my favorite fruit. #alltheapples #everywhere #HaleyWasYellingAtMeForTakingTooManyPics #I'mHiding #HandGrowingOutOfMyBack????


3. Try something new! Trying new fruit and veg at the Farmer's Market gives me a reason to explore new recipes and discover healthy foods that I had not previously incorporated into my diet. This particular Farmer's Market stand was my fave because they ingeniously put descriptions and uses on each fruit. Winner of the new fruit contest = Quince. Great for canning!


4. Food prep! Food prepping for the upcoming week is a great way to make sure you have healthy food / meals ready for your busy week. Living in such a hectic world, having something healthy to grab can sometimes negate grabbing something unhealthy. I also like to prep all my produce the day or day after I get it to ensure that it doesn't go bad!


5. Get creative. You're talking to (well, talking virtually, but that counts in my book) the least creative girl in the world. The math side of my brain >>>>> the artistic side of my brain. But that is why the inventors of Pinterest are genius. Pin fun recipes throughout the week and that way when the weekend hits, all your recipes will be ready to come to life!


We all know I'm all about the spark notes, so here is the Raw Food Diet 101:
  • What can you eat?
    • Unprocessed, organic, and uncooked. Nothing should be heated above 118 degrees F.
    • The diet consists mainly of: fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and sprouts.
  • Why 118 degrees?
    • Cooking foods above 118 tends to kill the foods enzymes, which help your body digest the food. 
    • Decreases the pH of the food, making it more acidic. 
    • Destroys most vitamins. 
  • What are the health benefits?
    • Increased energy, clear skin, potentially prevent or reverse diabetes. Some claim it is also used for weight loss and improved fertility, but I think this is an over-generalization and will vary greatly from person to person.
If you want a much more detailed description, THIS is a great resource. 


I was intrigued by the challenge of not cooking anything over 118 degrees and decided to make Raw Vegetable Sushi Rolls! I threw some pine nuts (first soaked in water) and some vinegar into a food processor to use as the glue to hold the wraps together.


Laid out all my cut veggies, and rolled it all up!


I used dental floss to wrap the rolls to make sure they stayed. It may sound strange, but I like using dental floss because I know it is sanitary =). PS. Use unflavored dental floss if you try it!


Original idea / recipe HERE! I halved this recipe (what else is new) and omitted the avocado and cilantro it worked just as great.


RAW VEGETABLE SUSHI ROLLS

INGREDIENTS
  • ½ cup pine nuts, soaked in water
  • 1 TBSP vinegar (I used Balsamic, but use whatever you want!)
  • 3 zucchini
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 cucumber
  • 4 radishes
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 small bunch cilantro
DIRECTIONS 
  • Combine your nuts and vinegar in a food processor until forms a paste-like texture.
  • Slice all of your vegetables into thin, narrow rectangles
  • Use a peeler (I actually used a cheese peeler!) and thinly slice your zucchinis
  • Apply some of your nut mixture to the zucchini slice, place veggies on top of the paste, and tightly roll.
  • Use strong (I used dental floss =)) to keep the vegetable sushi rolls together.
Enjoy!

How do you like to kick-start your healthy eating habits?
-- stock up on healthy foods

Thoughts on the Raw Food Diet?

Tell me about your weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not into the raw food diet because I love to cook way too much! Can you believe I've never been to the farmers market? It's 45 minutes away and we always cancel our trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was all about the apples this weekend too - I ALWAYS get Fujis. I honestly sometimes wonder if there is anything better in the world than a ripe Fuji apple????! I tried a Honeycrisp once and was really disappointed because the name makes it sound spectacular. Maybe I just didn't have a good one!

    I don't think I could do the raw food diet... I personally like burnt food. I think burning it gives it extra flavor lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy stocking up on healthy foods as well. I also have found that by drinking loads of water, I feel like I am flushing myself to be ready to get back onboard the health train!
    Not a fan of the raw food diet. First because I couldn't do it, but also because it seems like it would take out a lot of fat and protein sources. That's not to say that it couldn't be done in a healthy way, but I would struggle with finding enough from those categories.
    Weekend was great! Had my brother visiting from Chicago so we went to al the touristy places that I secretly enjoy. Plus I got him and my husband to run a 5k with me!






    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...