Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Kale and My Dog's Halloween Costume

Heeey guys, it is Wednesday! Do you ever stop and look at a word and wonder how that word was ever created? Wed-nes-day.

UPDATE: I just looked it up because the suspense was killing me.
Old English Wōdnes dæg Woden's day, translation of Latin mercurii diesMercury's day; related to Old Frisian wōnsdei, Middle Dutch wōdensdach(Dutch woensdag)
SOURCE
Not as exciting as I had hoped.

Something that is exciting, is how one food can supply numerous nutrients in relatively small doses. Kale is one of those foods and my love affair with Kale has come back full force.

SOURCE



Kale is one of those "trending" foods that actually deserves all the attention it gets. It is a SUPERFOOD and the best news of all: it is affordable! So many times the really nutritious foods are overly priced, but Kale is a great bang for your buck. The 101, simple is always easier:

Simple Kale facts:
  • Low calories (about 30 cals per cup)
  • High fiber
  • High protein
  • Omega-3s (not as much as fish, but still some!)
  • Vitamin A, C, K, and B
  • As of this weekend: $0.99 / lb
SOURCE

Simple Kale recipes:
  • Kale chips
  • Kale smoothies
  • Kale salads
This weekend I bought a huge bunch of Kale and made Kale Chips and a delicious Kale Salad for my family. It is such a great food to eat because it is extremely nutrient dense and will keep you feeling energized and healthy all day long.


Basic recipe for a successful salad in my book is leafy greens + something sweet + something savory + something crunchy + light dressing.  I did kale, dried raisins, cheese, blanched sliced almonds, and a light balsamic vinaigrette.

Kale chips = all the salt.


I think Rita Jeptoo may have eaten Kale because she is INCREDIBLE. Jaw dropping, unbelievable, I wish I could run that fast, incredible.




She also just won $500,000 so I'd probably be waving my hands in the air too (I know, she's probably not actually waving, but I'm pretending she is).

One thing I've been dying to do is run a themed half-marathon. Who wants to be my by butt and run in this costume with me? I think we could get away with only 1 entry fee! ;)


This doggy Halloween costume is now on it's way to our house. I'll post some pics of her in it once the costume arrives!


Quick basement sweat this morning. I'm hoping my running days are just around the corner! It's like every day I don't run I can slowly see my "Pace" on my Garmin getting higher and higher. Such is life I guess.


Have a fabulous day! 


What would you do if you just won $500,000?

What is your Halloween costume / your dogs? / your pets?

Have you ever run a themed race?

PS. I'm dying for a Baked Oatmeal recipe, if you have any good ones please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. That camel costume is hilarious! I like that they provide face openings for both humps that way both people can see what's going on!

    I think I heard during the Chicago broadcast that Rita would actually make 1.5 million or something like that due to bonuses and endorsements! Whoo! I mean it's not NFL money, but that's darn good for a runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 15 mil?!? Holy cow, that is insane!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...