Thursday, October 2, 2014

HIIT Treadmill Workout

Hey there, how are you doing? I'm loving the smell of Fall outside. This is definitely my favorite season =).

Some days I get on the treadmill and after 5 steps I am incredibly bored. Bored doesn't mean tired. It just means I need something to entertain me. Insert my Treadmill Game here...a HIIT Treadmill Workout.





What is HIIT?
  • What: High Intensity Interval Training - A fat blasting, cardio workout which cycles between high intensity, heart pounding intervals and low intensity intervals. Cycle through these intervals approximately 3 - 5 times for a total duration of 15 - 30 minutes.
  • Why: Blasts fat, burns calories, boosts metabolism, saves time.
  • When: If you're pinched for time, want an extra challenging workout, or are working on shedding a few extra pounds.
  • Where: Literally anywhere - you can do HIIT exercises at home, with equipment at the gym, or on the treadmill, which is my personal fave.
This is a HIIT Treadmill Workout that has really increased my running speed. Not only is it a great, fat blasting workout, but it trains my muscles how to push harder and faster (which I definitely need on race day). Last race I felt like I was pushing for 13.1 miles.

Warm-Up - 1 mile, easy pace (treadmill speed at 7.0)
Cycle 1: High - 0.25 miles, ramp up to 7.6
Cycle 1: Low - 0.25 miles, ramp down to 6.2
repeat cycle 1
Cycle 2: High - 0.25 miles, ramp up to 7.7
Cycle 2: Low - 0.25 miles, ramp down to 6.3
repeat cycle 2
Cycle 3: High - 0.25 miles, ramp up to 7.8
Cycle 3: Low - 0.25 miles, ramp down to 6.4
repeat cycle 3
Cycle 4: High - 0.25 miles, ramp up to 7.9
Cycle 4: Low - 0.25 miles, ramp down to 6.5
repeat cycle 4
Cycle 5: High - 0.25 miles, ramp up to 8.0
Cycle 5: Low - 0.25 miles, ramp down to 6.6
repeat cycle 5
Cool-Down - 1 mile, slow pace (6.2)

Before you know it you will have just crushed 7 miles! This HIIT workout keeps me completely distracted and really feels good when I am done.

The other days I am bored and my legs are too tired for HIIT, I get by with a little help from Silver Linings Playbook....


Some days I go faster, some days I go slower, and some days I only do 3 cycles. Do whatever works for you! This is just a suggestion of what works for me and where I am right now =).

Coolest work atmosphere, ever. What if one of these ladies busted into a HIIT workout all of a sudden?? #runnershumor


On my Monday adventures I always walk by this scene and somehow it is a humbling reminder that the only things that matter in life are the simple things, and that is all I need.


Big Sur 20 Miler - thanks to a reader from the HRG blog for telling me about! One of the million reasons the blogging community is so awesome. Sadly it is already sold out for 2015. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get into the Big Sur races, please let me know!

#1 thing on my running bucket list: Run the Big Sur Marathon.

(Source)

I hope you all are having a wonderful day!

Question - What is #1 on your bucket list?

9 comments:

  1. Hitts are the perfect workouts for keeping boredom at bay. I love them although I'll have to start out slower than that one :) I have so many things on my bucket list! Running Boston is one personal one but number one would probably have to be make sure my kids are financially stable throughout their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this workout! I'm definitely going to try it the next time I use the treadmill! The main thing on my running bucket list is to run a marathon next year! We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heeey Amanda!!!

    Although I don't have a treadmill--I am way glad you wrote about HIIT!! I love HIIT and am always looking for ideas on it. I'm glad you like it--great example!

    Bucket list--See the Northern Lights in ALASKA!!!!!! I think I would die if I saw it...so maybe i should put it at the end of my list to make sure I got everything else in before I died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Lights would be so cool!!! I like that one!

      Delete
  4. That looks like a gorgeous race to run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW the bridge is incredible! Now I want to run Big Sur too!

    To keep myself distracted on the treadmill I watch movies or Chopped! There is nothing like drooling over delicious food while running ... it makes that first post-run meal taste extra good! haha

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...