Friday, October 17, 2014

Friday Faves and Coconut Oil 101

Hi there!

Please tell me I'm not alone in this struggle. The doormat of all doormats. I'm getting this when I move into my next apartment because the "hey, can you make sure I turned the straightener off" text is all too real.

(SOURCE)



Breakfast was some of the Baked Oatmeal I made yesterday! If you missed it, find the recipe HERE.
I also had a dinosaur sized cup of coffee and some non-fat greek yogurt.


My job is pretty awesome, yesterday I was tasked with the duty of trying different soup recipes from a "Hearty and Healthy Soup" class. After thinking about it for 0.00035 seconds I gladly accepted. My fave:

Lamb and Red Lentil Soup = Lamb, red lentils, spaghetti, chickpeas, tomatoes, and tons of other savory goodness. I love this soup because it speaks for itself in saying that healthy can also be used in the same sentence as amazingly delicious. 


Her Halloween costume came in the mail! She is the cutest Super Woman I have ever seen!! She told me to tell you guys that her favorite part of the costume is the big red skirt, and I agree. 


I read somewhere that a great way to release stress is to get a lot of oxygen to your brain. You can do this by breathing in one nostril and out the other or through inversion! I think my inner yogi is starting to surface these days. Maybe I should try the nostril breathing while inverted??


I had a few reader requests about Coconut Oil and why I've started using Coconut Oil in my recipes. Here are a few reasons why I love Coconut Oil and I'll do a full post soon how I use it besides cooking (my face, my hair, coconut love is alive and real).

Benefits of Coconut Oil:
  • Reduces cholesterol 
  • Positive antioxidant agent in the body
  • Great skin and hair moisturizer 
  • Wonderful for cooking as it can withstand heat 


There are a lot of different types of Coconut Oil you can buy in the store, but for this particular product I always look for two things: (1) Unrefined and (2) Organic. Some products are okay to get at the cheapest price and save some $$, but this one I think is worth splurging on to really get the optimal health benefits. 

I used to think any and all saturated fats were bad, but that is not entirely true, as Coconut Oil proves. But of course, just like with everything, it must be used in moderation.

Other things I'm loving:

THE FIRST LADY - Turnip for What

101 Uses for Coconut Oil - from Wellness Mama

This picture from an Instagram account.
I think I love this picture because it means the youth is being educated and appears health conscious, to some degree?? Maybe??



Some bucket list items for my weekend: Farmer's Market Doughnuts, a new yoga class, cook with a new vegetable, and maybe get some funky Zumba pants. I know, I live a wild and crazy life. I also am going to put together a marathon training plan for people who tend to get over-use injuries. I struggle with this and am hoping a set plan will really help =).

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

What is your experience with Coconut Oil? Any unique uses?

Anyone racing this weekend?
-- I'm living vicariously through you while my ankle rests up.

Anyone see Gone Girl? Thoughts on the ending?
-- confused



6 comments:

  1. I love coconut oil. I use it for everything. You can use it like butter in pie crusts or fry with it. Great stuff.
    Ashley @ Kickashmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making body scrubs out of coconut oil - does anything else make your skin feel so soft?! It's amazing!

    The hair straightener struggle is real. I have one now that turns off automatically because forgetting is so easy!

    Suuuucchhh a cute little Halloween costume!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need that automatic turn-er off-er!

      Delete
  3. Your inversion is so pretty.

    I have a race next weekend, and I'm a little under trained for it. We'll see how it goes. Thankfully, it's a pretty flat course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flat courses are my favorite =) GOOD LUCK!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...