Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Bar Method

Hi friends, happy happy Wednesday!

Remember how I have been wanting to try a Barre class for so long? I finally was able to check it out, and it exceeded my expectations. I was afforded the opportunity to take a class at The Bar Method in Tysons Corner in exchange for a review, and I could not have enough great things to say about this place.



From the moment I walked in the door, I felt welcomed and in a friendly environment. The instructors are more than just teachers; I found them to be very genuine, down to earth people who truly cared about helping me become stronger. The Bar Method aims to be more than just a workout studio, they aim to be a community. After just one class there I already want to be a part of that community and cannot wait to be go back.

What is The Bar Method and why is it different? 


You may be wondering what's the difference between "Bar" and "Barre"? The Bar Method uses exercises that were co-developed with physical therapists to ensure joint safety. Knowing this really gives me a sense of comfort that I am 100% strengthening and 0% hurting my body. The Bar Method instructors undergo an extensive, 6 month training. If you have an injury, fear not! The Instructors know modifications for just about every exercise to accommodate all injuries and body types. The studio even had cushioned and carpeted floors so students do not have to do planks / push ups / ab work on a hard floor. 


FAQ:

Do I need to be flexible or have a dancer background?
- No! I discovered during class I am the least flexible person on the earth but was still able to do all of the exercises. It is a group class, but you do each exercise at your individual skill level.

Do I need special socks?
- Nope! I brought my own from home. When I start going on a regular basis, I'll buy the socks for extra grip. The Bar Method carpets were not only comfortable but helped eliminate slippage!



What do I wear?
- Long pants that go past your knees, a workout top, and socks!

How often should I go?
- Shelley (the owner) recommends 3 -5 times a week. Optimally, at least 4 times a week to see great results.

Is there any cardio?
- Absolutely! I always thought cardio had to involve running or some sort of pounding, but that is not the case. The Bar Method places exercises in a strategic order to optimize caloric burn during and long after the class. The exercises exhaust your muscles, and then elongate them. This builds that beautiful long, lean muscle many try to achieve. The exercises work a muscle in your front and then your back. This form of interval training keeps your body guessing and those calories burning.

(Source)

What if I don't know any of the exercises?
- You're in good company, I didn't either! But the Instructors were so helpful and gave me verbal cues and physical adjustments all throughout the class. They are incredibly encouraging and their slightest adjustments always make the hugest difference.

I'm a runner, why do I need this class?
- All my runners, this class is for you! The Bar Method will help to build muscles around your knees. This strength will help prevent injury. The Bar Method also targets your core muscles which will allow you to keep your running form stronger for longer. I thought my legs were strong but boy was I wrong...I was shaking like a leaf the entire class.

This Marathoner says it the best:


If you live near Tysons Corner, I highly recommend that you drop in for a class and check it out. Their New Client Specials can be found HERE and their class schedule is HERE.

The studio was clean and very inviting! I usually get intimidated by new workout classes, but I felt right at home from the minute I walked in, and I know you will too!


Instead of always talking about becoming stronger and doing exercises other than running, I decided to make it happen,...and loved it. Take action today on something you've been putting off!




Have you ever tried The Bar Method?

Does exercising on a regular basis encourage you to live a healthier lifestyle?

What do you want to 'Stop aspiring' and 'Start doing'?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! Very cool that the moves were developed my physical therapists, I've never heard of that before. I definitely want to try this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about Barre but never about bar. I love the idea of extensive training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome! My legs were shaking the entiiiire class

      Delete
  3. I practiced ballet for a while (and I've really missed it) so I've been meaning to try a barre class for a while! I think cross-training is so so important when it comes to running so I'm glad you've found something that works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to a Bar Method class. There's only a couple Barre studios in Calgary - and unfortunately The Bar Method isn't one of them.

    I didn't realize that the teacher training was that long. seems like it would be a good thing though - knowing lots of modifications for students is a good way to keep people from getting hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed! The teachers were extremely knowledgeable.

      Delete
  5. Great review. I'm sold...I'll try it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...