Friday, September 5, 2014

Pumpkin Doughnuts (Gluten-Free)

Happy Friday! Any fun plans this weekend?

A 12 miler this morning with my bestie head lamp, reflector vest...and pitted dates <--- testing a new fuel, review coming soon! And then home to PUMPKIN DOUGHNUTS.  The whole run I pictured a doughnut 2 feet in front of my face and it kept me going.



All ya runners out there - the core needs some lovin' too. "Experts say incorporating just 20 minutes of strength training a few times a week can help runners prevent injuries."  (source) Annnd I'm sold.  

5 Minute Ab Burner:
  • Plank for 30 seconds.
  • Lift left leg as high in the air as you can (controlled), lower back down. Repeat on opposite leg. 20 reps / side.
  • Bring left knee to left elbow, return back to plank. Repeat on opposite leg. 20 reps / side.
Repeat this Ab Burner as many times as you can =).

I only do 2 reps each side in this because no one wants to see me dying slowly. 

video

My new secret way to tame Haley's hair. Braided hair at night = less knots in the morning. Or so one would think...


Now for all the Pumpkin glory. 


The original recipe (HERE) called for granulated sugar but I try to avoid processed and refined foods, so I opted to make my own, natural sugar. 1 cup of hot water and 1 cup of pitted dates processed until smooth.

I also used Organic Coconut Flour instead of all-purpose flour.


A little DIY doughnut pan. Cheap or innovative? Or both?


The best smelling / tasting/ looking / everything batter you will ever make in your life. It took all my will power not to stick my head in it.


I used a plastic bag to tube out the dough into the pan.


...And then try not to eat them all.

You can either roll them in sugar when they are done or add any topping you would like! I put a thin layer of Almond Butter and then sprinkled blanched, sliced almonds overtop my doughnuts.



PUMPKIN DOUGHNUTS (Gluten-Free)


INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar (or sugar substitute, like dates if you want GF)
  • 1 can pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 3/4 coconut flour
DIRECTIONS 
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease doughnut pans (or your DIY pan!) 
  • Mix the applesauce, eggs, sugar (substitute), pumpkin, spices, salt and baking powder
  • Stir in the flour slowly
  • Fill the doughnut pan, almost all the way to the top.
  • Bake the doughnuts for about 20 minutes
  • Cool using a wire wrack and top with desired toppings (I used almond butter and almond slices)

Favorite doughnut flavor?
-- Anything pumpkin or chocolate has my heart

I need new songs for my half-marathon, any fave cardio songs right now??





2 comments:

  1. Oh these look so good! Might just have to make a batch for after my long run tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They taste especially good after a long run =). Let me know if you try them!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...