Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Pitted Dates and Almond Butter - Running Fuel

Happy Tuesday!

As promised, my review of Pitted Dates and Almond Butter as running fuel. Also what a long-run morning looks like for me!

These look disgusting. I know. BUT they're now my new favorite fuel and what I'll be racing with them on Sunday. 


My long run routine:



Lay out my outfit, including my banana since I want to eat it the SECOND I get up so it has maximum time to digest (optimal time is said to be 30 minutes).


Set my alarm for a disgusting hour and write threatening messages to myself for when the alarm goes off. 



Ask my mom to photograph my sexy headlamp and reflector vest outfit at 5am (yes, she was up and my #1 fan). 


Listen to a book on tape for miles 8-11 go break up the run.


Plank when I get home because I REALLY want to get to where I can hold it for 3 minutes and that means adding time each day. I'm throwing a 3 minute planking party when I do get there, you're all invited.



Then I get ready for work and attack Haley with morning snuggles before she goes to school because I love her oh so much. It appears the feelings not mutual. 



Pitted Dates and Almond Butter: These were fab! I was a little hesitant at first because I do not like the taste of pitted dates alone, but adding the almond butter really helped and made them less sweet. I cut the pitted date in half, filled it with almond butter, and put it back together. I individually wrapped them in tin foil and then a plastic bag and stuck them in the pocket of my running shorts. I took one at mile 6 and another at mile 9 and I felt great!

Date Nutrition 101: Dates are filled with simple sugars like fructose which help restore your blood sugar levels when running. These simple sugars are very easy for your body to break down so your body can digest dates quickly and almost instantly utilize the sugars. They are also a great source of potassium, and as all runners know, this will help with muscle cramping.  I love the fact that these are all natural sugars and not processed or artificially made.

What is your favorite type of fuel for training?

What is your pre-race routine?

Morning runner or night runner?



3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this for fuel, I am all for real food :) I wonder if the mess factor comes into play at a race though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that too...I need a figure out a way to be able to access them quickly while not making a complete mess!

      Delete
  2. Pitted dates with almond butter look great for on the go fuelling! I'll try it out on my double-digit run :) Haha! I have to leave myself at least three threatening messages promising imminent failure until I get up for my early run. I'm also trying to master the plank, we runners tend to seriously neglect our core! I'm just about up to two minutes, hopefully we'll manage to break three next week :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...