Thursday, September 25, 2014

Healthy Hazelnut Cookies (Paleo, Vegan)

Hi guys! How about some healthy cookies to start off this Thursday??

There is no sugar, flour, eggs, or butter in these and they taste amazing! Feel free to use any type of nut, I had some leftover hazelnuts laying around so I threw those into mine =).



Due to some current life craziness (more on that later), I need more time in the day. I get up at 4:40AM now to run. Running >>> Being tired.  Thank goodness my best friend is in dental school and studying like crazy so she can text me at 5am while she's studying.  I guess I missed the English lesson where you learn that the !!! comes after the sentence....


I just recently heard of the "newest diet trend" that has people talking: BIG breakfast and small dinner. Have you heard of it?


I'll give you the CliffsNotes (read more here):
  • Studies show that people who eat calorie heavy breakfasts and smaller dinners, lose more weight than those who eat small breakfasts and a calorie heavy dinner.
  • Those who ate bigger breakfasts had lower glucose and insulin levels.
  • How big is big? Doctors recommend a breakfast of approximately 700 calories. 
Do I practice this? No, but only because for me personally, diet trends and limiting calorie intake at any point in the day doesn't really work for me. Everyone has their own style of healthy eating, and this may work for some readers. There is no "right" way to eat. Find what works for you!

Big breakfast, small dinner...clearly not my style ;) I'm gunna need a little more....


In other news - remember how I tried to go 30 days without gum?? My 30 days is over, completely gum free! Wooooot! On day 31 I decided to eat gum again, and after just 1 day I realized I really don't need or want it anymore. Gum free for the indefinite future =) Heyooo! This is how I feel about being gum free...


Do you have that one person who every time you see just makes you so happy because they're such a positive light in your life? For me, it's Haley. She's a constant reminder to not take life too seriously and to live in the moment. But I'm pretty sure she was telling me to stop snuggling and start listening to the toasts.


A new season always brings a new opportunity for change and improvement. Have you set any Fall goals for yourself? A few of my goals are to be a positive person and make someone'e day better by being in it. I also want to try new workout classes and become fit, not just a runner. I want to continue eating clean (when I can) and also start experimenting with my own recipes.


I also enjoy sharing new recipes with all of you! I hope to bring you guys some great recipes this fall =).



Recipe adapted from HERE! I hope you enjoy them!



HEALTHY HAZELNUT COOKIES (PALEO, VEGAN)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 cups raw hazelnuts, chopped
  • 1 cup pitted dates (about 12)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 flax egg (I used 1 chia seed egg instead: 1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons water)
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS 
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate chips, into a food processor. Process for 1 - 2 minutes. 
  • Add the chocolate chips, process for a few pulses if desired. 
  • Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until desired texture.


Enjoy!

What are your goals for Fall?

Big breakfast or big dinner? Thoughts?



6 comments:

  1. I can't do the big breakfast little dinner thing. I love to cook and dinners are mostly what I experiment with! I have never chewed gum. When I was a child I hated it and it just carried through as I got older. I don't know what it is about it but ew. Lol. Those cookies look great! I love healthy baking with the kids!
    Ashley @ kickashmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you are getting your kids into healthy cooking at such a young age!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow running at 4 am is dedication, you go girl!
    I naturally eat a bigger breakfast and then a smaller dinner - actually breakfast food is my everything, I can eat it for every meal!
    Congrats on giving up gum! When I was trying to cut down, I just substituted them with mints - it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!!! And ameeeeen breakfast = everything haha =)

      Delete
  3. Omg, before 5 is crazy early! Your dedication is impressive! I'm def a big breakfast girl.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...