Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Green Smoothie and Portion Control

Hump day, yeaaaaaah.

Green smoothies always intimidate me because there are so many versions and ingredients and options and OMG I'm overwhelmed. When I found THIS recipe from fannetastic food, it was exactly what I needed: simple and tasty.



Attempt at a green thumb, part 2, is underway. I just wasn't meant to grow tomatoes, so lets hope this goes a little better.


Mini-me. I love you. Austin Powers, anyone, anyone, Bueller? Bueller?


Lately I've found that it is what and how much I eat that matters. The rest falls into place =). I also hate that "I just ate waaay too much" post-dinner feeling, so I try to stick to a normal sized portion.


Portion Control Tips:
  • Plate your meal - Do not eat standing up, we aren't cows. Fill your plate and that is what your dinner will be, no going back for seconds!
  • Clean up before eating - If you plate your meal and then put the leftovers away, you will be less likely to go back and eat more.
  • Trigger foods - We all have them, so avoid yours! Just say no all together instead of testing your self control each time. I could eat an entire box of Cheez-It crackers (..and I have, yikes) so I do not even buy them anymore!
  • Don't eat out of the bag - it is too hard to stop and sometimes we don't realize how much we've eaten. Put 1 serving on a napkin or in a bowl and call it a day.
  • Don't snack while prepping - we often consume a ton of extra (often unnoticed!) calories while making dinner. Avoid sampling every dish 3 or 4 times and just wait to enjoy it on your plate =).

Here are some really awesome pictures that put portion size into perspective:






After all those pictures of fatty foods I'm sure you are now just absolutely craving a health spinach smoothie ;)




GREEN SMOOTHIE


INGREDIENTS
  • 2 handfuls of spinach
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/2 cup skim milk

DIRECTIONS 

  • Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Enjoy!

Do you have any portion control tips and tricks?

Biggest food weakness?
- Anything salty or anything chocolate



2 comments:

  1. GIRL!

    This is an AWESOME post!!! Best pics I've seen yet! I love that hamburger one--it totally puts things into perspective! I just found you through Anne's blog--super glad I did!

    You're awesome, keep changing the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl, so glad you found me too!! I also like the pizza one =)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...