Thursday, September 11, 2014

Brownie Muffin (Gluten-Free & Low Calorie)

Hi friends, I hope your morning is going well!

A muffin that won't give you a muffin top, amen.


My cousin is getting married very soon and I decided that memorizing THIS Zumba dance to Bailando and whipping it out the dance floor was absolutely necessary. I've now recruited 5 people to learn it with me, could be my first semi-flash mob attempt. Sneak peak at our FIRST practice sesh...we have a LOT of work to do, yikes...





I got dinner with one of my dearest friends the other night. Hands down, best dish at Maple Avenue Restaurant:  Baked Mac - gruyere, cheddar, blue cheese, fresh pasta, and herbed panko crust. The end. You must go there tomorrow and try it.



My dog insisted she say 'Hello' on today's post.


I put my thumb in this pic so you can see just how big this brownie muffin is! I am always craving something after dinner and if I don't have something good, I end up just picking at 10 different things and am still unsatisfied. This muffin for 1 is perfect for me!


Why do we crave sweets after dinner?

It turns out there is no all encompassing answer to this question, but here is the gist:
  • Habit - Most people grew up having a nightly dessert after dinner. It become a habit and our brains just sort of expect it now. We can crave a dessert even if we just ate a huge, filling dinner. 
  • Blood Sugar Levels - We often crave something sweet in order to balance our blood sugar levels. When serotonin levels are low, our brains send a signal saying we need something sweet. After a large meal, serotonin levels will be high from large doses of macronutrients, but they are bound to plummet and thus we crave sugar.


Original recipe HERE!


BROWNIE MUFFIN (Gluten-Free)


INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Egg whites
  • 3 tbsp applesauce 
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder (GF friends - be sure to use GF baking powder)
  • Stevia (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder

DIRECTIONS 
  • Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 2:30 - 3:30. Enjoy!
**You can also do different variations of this such as pumpkin, vanilla, or cake batter!

What do you crave after dinner?

Favorite 'Treat yo Self' dish?

Ever been part of a flash mob?

8 comments:

  1. Oh god, I have such a sweet tooth! I always crave something sweet after something savoury. My hands down treat yo self dish is definitely birthday cake, nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birthday cake frozen yogurt is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  2. Actually one of my weekly goals this week is to not consume dessert. I've gotten so used to having dessert only out of habit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is it going?!? That would be reallllllly hard for me, I'm impressed!

      Delete
  3. TOTALLY is habit for me!!!
    I don't crave sweets after dinner anymore, but there are other triggers I have that are there just because of habits. Weird how that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I also find that when it hits "lunch hour" I automatically think I'm hungry, just out of habit!

      Delete
  4. Ah my after-dinner sweet tooth is so bad. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ya! Let me know if you try it =)

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...