Monday, September 29, 2014

Apple Crisp - with a healthy twist


Hi guys! I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing weekend full of some Fall goodness.

Random morning thought: It is almost OCTOBER. Where did September go!? This year feels like it is flying by for me.

We were whipping up a healthy version of Apple Crisp in my house to ring in the Fall. It was devoured in less than 1 hour, I kid you not.


The weather here was ab-so-lute-ly perfect. Mid 70s, not a cloud in the sky, and aromas of the Farmer's Market. And by aromas of the Farmer's Market I mean warm, melt in your mouth, apple cider donuts being served by the dozen.




Mama's Donut Bites! PSA: Next time I'm asking for all the donuts in their truck, so make sure to get yours early. I usually go after Saturday Spin class so you'll have time to get them before I sweep in ;).


Another Farmer's Market gem. The only way to get Haley to eat veggies.


Treadmill games + iPad = time flies. 7 miles done before I know it.
....I'll explain my "treadmill games" soon. A runner's favorite game, guaranteed.

This morning's viewing: Some Parks & Rec and a documentary on Usain Bolt. I have no words, he is a super hero.


Hales went apple picking and I was incredibly jealous. She let me cook with her apples since I couldn't go. Sister of the year.


Arts and crafts for foodies. 


Some olive oil, garlic salt, lemon juice, and 15 minutes on the grill later, waaala! Anyone else like their grilled veggies slightly burnt?! 


I wish I could say this didn't happen. Seriously, try this Apple Crisp. For anyone curious about nutrition info, there are 127 cals per piece! 


Recipe adapted from HERE.


HEALTHY APPLE CRISP

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 medium baking apples, cored, sliced
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
Topping:
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp heart-healthy margarine (I used Earth Balance Vegan Butter)
DIRECTIONS 
  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
  • Combine the first 4 ingredients and mix well. Place in 8 x 8 baking dish.
  • In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
  • Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until desired crispness. 
I topped it with whip cream but it would also go well with ice cream =).

Enjoy!

Favorite Farmer's Market finds?!

How do you entertain yourself when running / working out?

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME farmers market find!!! I would love to see those at our place! I havent seen anything but veggies and fruit at ours--nothing too fancy.

    I'm gonna try that apple crips, looks super good, thanks!!

    As you know I entertain myself by running with the right buds (a horse;). That or I listen to podcasts on goals or nutrition! That way I learn while I run! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples are my favorite part of fall. I love me some apple crisp.
    Ashley @ Kickashmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about your treadmill games, I find the treadmill so dull so anything to liven it up would be appreciated! Love how you and your sister are so close, it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay a new treadmill workout is coming tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. I love your style! Your outfits are always so cute!

    Was it the Bolt documentary that is on Netflix? If so, that one was amazing!! He is incredible!





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! He really is incredible!

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...