Thursday, September 18, 2014

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats & "The Dirty Dozen"

Hi there!

It's starting to feel more like Fall these days and that means apple season is here. Apples are my favorite fruit. You'd judge me if you knew how many I eat in a day. Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats were calling my name this morning (recipe below!).





Apple picking or throwing apples out of a tree and playing catch?! You decide...



In any event, WASH YOUR APPLES!
Once again, apples top the list for the most pesticide contaminated food. The full "Dirty Dozen" list (source):

Apples
Strawberries
Grapes
Celery
Peaches
Spinach
Sweet bell peppers
Nectarines
Cucumbers
Cherry tomatoes
Potatoes
Snap peas

Top Bun. Goose and Maverick.


We had so much salsa left from the #VersaChallenge that we decided it only made sense to have a Taco night last night.


My legs finally are starting to feel normal again after my half-marathon. Naturally this would be the night Haley decides it would be a good idea for her to be my 'human weight' while I try to squat and plank. I couldn't say no to the challenge.



A marathon is still on my bucket list. For the past 5 weeks, I've been increasing my weekly long run by 1 mile. This week I would be up to 14 miles. I can't decide if I should keep going or if I should take a bit of a break and try some cross-training? Or both? Or start doing speed work? The struggle, it's alive my friends.

(Source)

There are SO many types of apples in the grocery stores, and I used to get overwhelmed with which ones to use to cook and bake with. This chart is hugely helpful. Pink Lady and Granny Smith are my top 2 favorites.

(Source)

These overnight oats take 5 minutes to prepare (not even) and it is so nice to wake up and already have a nutrient dense breakfast waiting for you in the fridge.



Original recipe HERE


APPLE CINNAMON OVERNIGHT OATS

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (GF for GF friends!)
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp flax meal (I didn't have any, so I used toasted oats)
  • 1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 1-2 tsp maple syrup (optional)
  • 1/2  cup almond milk 
**If you like your oatmeal a bit more moist, use 3/4 cup of almond milk

DIRECTIONS 
  • Combine all ingredients into a mason jar and refrigerate overnight!

What's your favorite form of exercise?
-- I've been dying to try Barre!

Netflix series you watched the entire season of?
-- Scandal, OITNB

6 comments:

  1. Apples are my favourite fruit hands down. My family actually started hiding them from me because I would eat the whole bag in a day or two, oops!
    You and your sister are adorable! I'm going to have to get my baby brother to help me with the whole human weight thing.
    Favourite workout class would have to be spin and what netflix series have I not watched the entire season of?! Loved OITNB (can't wait for the next season!) and I'm currently loving Mad Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's hysterical about your family hiding the apples! I need to try to get to more spinning classes!

      Delete
  2. I wanted to do a marathon right after my first half but I'm really glad I waited (only because I really wanted to do Portland as my first). I took time to really work on my base which made increasing my mileage once marathon training started a lot easier (I think). I did a long run of 10-13 miles each Saturday for about five months before I started marathon training!

    As for Netflix marathons... oh.my.gosh. So many! OITNB and Arrested Development have been my favorites so far ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's so impressive you built up a base for so long!

      Delete
  3. My favorite apples are Granny Smith. I love how tart they are.

    I'd definitely recommend trying a barre class. Although I've only been to one, it was a lot of fun and I was sore for a day or two afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona! I'm going to try to get to a Barre class ASAP.

      Delete

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...