Monday, June 16, 2014

Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce

I had a dream my tomato plant grew huge over night and when I woke up there were a ton of tomatoes ready to be picked. I'm not sure if it's more sad that I am dreaming about my tomato plant or the fact that there are, in fact, 0 tomatoes to be picked.

I decided to make a light, homemade tomato sauce last night and it was so incredibly easy, healthy, and fresh.

READER ALERT: When buying tomato sauce of any kind, be sure to check the ingredients. True tomato sauce should be made of just that, TOMATOES! But lately I've seen many brands that include sugar and red pepper in their tomato sauce. Reading the food label is always a great thing to do with these types of foods!


I made homemade whole wheat pasta to go with it!


I got the original recipe HERE and can confirm that this only takes 10 minutes!



TOMATO BASIL PASTA SAUCE


INGREDIENTS
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • Pinch of sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 fresh basil leaves
DIRECTIONS 
  • Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, let the garlic cook / brown for a few minutes.
  • Add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Let simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
  • Add the fresh basil leaves and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...