Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Homemade Whole Wheat Pasta

This recipe was by far my favorite homemade pasta yet! I was literally mid-bite when I realized I forgot to take a picture of the final product. I swear one day I'll actually try harder on getting good pictures for you guys.


This was my dad's "meal of choice" for Father's Day so I took on the pasta and my mom took on the Strawberry Shortcake.


I also counted this as my cardio + strength training for the day because kneading dough is no joke. 

Benefits of making your own pasta:
  1. It's fun! The more you play around in the kitchen, the more you will experiment with recipes.
  2. It's tasty! Homemade pasta has an authentic taste that boxed pasta just cannot seem to replicate.
  3. It's healthier! ...sometimes. I recommend using whole wheat flour, or at least half whole wheat flour. The taste is just as amazing but you are getting the nutritional benefits that the whole wheat provides.



This pasta took a LOT longer to cook since it was so thick, but it was definitely worth the wait. My 8  year old sister also approved...and she approves of VERY little.


I got the original recipe HERE and modified it a bit, which is below. Enjoy!




HOMEMADE WHOLE WHEAT PASTA


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  •  1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  •  1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  •  5 eggs
  •  4 teaspoons olive oil
DIRECTIONS 
  • Combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl.
  • Add the eggs (one at a time) as well as the olive oil. Mix until the flour all comes together. 
  • Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is stiff and elastic. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes to relax (I skipped this because I didn't have time).
  • Roll out dough by hand or by using a pasta machine.
  • Shape pasta as desired, let it dry out for approximately 15 minutes, and then cook!

Note: most homemade pasta cooks very quickly. My noodles were very thick so it took about 12-15 minutes for mine to cook all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...