Sunday, June 1, 2014

Crock Pot Italian Turkey Meatballs

I reach for the Crock Pot when I have the urge to cook in the morning, but I know dinner is still hours and hours away. Not to mention having something cooking in the kitchen all day definitely makes the house smell phenomenal all day long.

Meatballs? In a crock pot? ...Yes.

I went with Lean Turkey Meat to keep things on the lighter side, but feel free to use any kind of beef you want.


Throw everything in a bowl, mix it with your hands (I started with a fork, ended with my hands).


Pop the meatballs into the Crock Pot with your sauce, and then go enjoy your day.


I made my meatballs less compact (less dense) so that the sauce could really seep into them during the 4-6 hours they cooked. I'd recommend it, they were very moist!


I got the recipe from the wonderful Skinny Taste, recipe HERE.



CROCK POT ITALIAN MEATBALLS

INGREDIENTS 
  • 20 oz ground turkey breast 93% lean
  • 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (I used an Italian blend)
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp salt + pepper
For the sauce:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil or parsley

DIRECTIONS
  • Combine in a bowl the: ground turkey, breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, egg, garlic, and salt + pepper. Mix together using your hands. Roll mixture into meatballs using your hands. Remember to not pack them too tight so the sauce can soak in.
  • Over medium heat, brown the 4 cloves of garlic in the olive oil. Add garlic, olive oil, crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, basic, and salt + pepper into crock pot. Stir.
  • Place the meatballs into the sauce in the crock pot. 
  • Cover and let sit for 4 - 6 hours on Low.

Enjoy! Pairs well with garlic bread, whole wheat pasta, or grilled veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...